Name Change Guide

This guide was researched and written by Sam Dahl, then shared with TransSask Support Services Inc. to be posted here for personal and/or public use. If through your own experiences getting your name changed you come across anything in this guide that needs updating, please do not hesitate to contact us at and we will apply those changes ASAP.    

Step OneContact eHealth Saskatchewan (1-800-667-7551) and tell them you would like to get a legal name change.

    • They will mail out a “Name Change Eligibility Form”. Fill this in and return it.
    • If you are eligible they will send the “Legal Name Change Form”. Fill in the form, you will need it signed by a Notary or Commissioner of Oaths.
    • Approximate cost is $135.
    • This will change your name in the Birth Registry, on your Birth Certificate, and on your Health Card.
    • You should receive a new Health Card in the mail, a Name Change Declaration, and a new Birth Certificate if you requested one.

Notes about changing gender markers!

    • Contact eHealth Saskatchewan (1-800-667-7551) and tell them you would like to change your gender markers on your birth certificate. This can be done at the same time as the name change.
    • They can mail or email the forms to you. The forms should include “Statutory Declaration of Change of Sex”, “Birth Certificate Application”, “Change of Sex on Health Card”, and “Health Registries Payment Form”. You will require a Notary again.
    • Depending on which type of Birth Certificate you request, this can cost between $50 and $150.
    • After your application has been approved you will receive a new Birth Certificate and Health Card in the mail.


Step Two: Update your driver’s license or government issued ID card.

    • Take your new Birth Certificate and Name Change Declaration to any license issuer.
    • They will take a new picture for the license and put in a request to SGI to issue a new card with updated name and gender marker.
    • There is a $15 fee for the new Driver’s License card.
    • You can also get your car registration changed at the same time if applicable.

Notes about gender neutral “X” markers on ID in Saskatchewan!

    • Residents of Saskatchewan are now able to request a gender neutral “x” marker under their sex designation on their driver’s licenses or identification card.
    • All you need to do is ask for it, the person updating your card should be able to find an option for “unspecified” under sex.
    • For more information on gender neutral sex designation in Saskatchewan scroll to the bottom of this page: Renew, replace, or change your license.


Step Three: Inform and update your information at Service Canada.

      • Go to a Service Canada location in your city or call 1-800-206-7218 (select option 3).
      • They will need to see your new Birth Certificate and Name Change Declaration.
      • This will affect your SIN, CPP, EI, etc.


Step Four: Inform and update your information at Canada Revenue Agency.

    • Call 1-800-959-8281 (select option 5, then option 4).
    • You will need to have your most recent tax return available for identity verification.
    • If you have already updated your SIN, CRA will not need any name change documents.

Note about Passports!

    • If you have a passport, or want one, you will need to apply for a new Passport. Unfortunately you can’t change your name on an existing Passport.
    • You can find the forms you’ll need here at


Step Five: Update all your other personal and/or professional accounts, memberships, and documents.

    • Most other places you’ll need to change your name should only require Name Change Declaration, Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, and/or Health Card.
    • Some suggestions for other place to change name and/or gender markers:
      • Your bank
      • Credit Card
      • Utilities (Power, Gas, Internet, Phone, etc.)
      • City/Town Taxes
      • Home Insurance
      • House Title (likely done through ISC) (requires Notary)
      • Your Work or School
      • Health Benefits



This is meant as a guide to help people through a complicated process. All of the info is based on one person’s experience and is accurate as of spring 2019. There may be changes in process or costs. Your experience may vary, but this should point you in the right direction.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *